Pages

Wednesday 18 August 2010

I’m Not Listening

So, the musical that Maria McKee never wrote continues apace with its second extract, as I’m Not Listening appears to offer us a girl who, subjected to endless bullying, plots her deadly revenge.

As with Absolutely Barking Stars, I’m Not Listening is a full-on plunge into lurid melodrama, completely over the top and completely irresistible, with a wonky and tinny opening that sounds like something from an old silent movie soundtrack, and a thunderous chorus. Its wall of guitars yet again brings Queen to mind, and praise also has to be heaped on McKee, Bruce Brody and Martin Tillman for a string arrangement that brings us a climax that sounds like the unholy offspring of Psycho and Jaws. You can practically see our protagonist lurking, knife in hand, behind some oak door, just waiting for the time of vengeance.

The truth is I could listen to this song all day long. Given its subject matter and mood, I’m not quite sure what that says about me but, like I’m Not Listening’s “heroine”, I defy anyone to tell me I’m wrong.

In the nicest possible way, of course.

No comments: